Funding for individual employers

Mobility scooterIf you employ your own personal care assistants using a social care personal budget, you can apply for money from Skills for Care to pay for training for yourself and your staff.

The money can cover the direct costs of training, travel costs and the cost of hiring replacement PAs.

Find out more about the funding and download the application form from the Skills for Care website.

What can the money be used for?

It can be used for lots of different training courses and qualifications including:

  • communication skills
  • British sign language
  • first aid
  • health and safety
  • condition specific training such as dementia or autism awareness
  • Health and Social Care Diplomas.

It can also cover travel costs and the cost of hiring replacement PAs.

It can make a real difference

Last year over 600 PAs and their employers benefited from training through the fund.

Ella McCance employs a team of PAs and applied for Skills for Care funding to pay for training, including equality and diversity, understanding nutrition and hydration, Mental Capacity Act and moving and handling.

She said: “The training has helped my PA’s to be more confident and knowledgeable in my specific care needs and medical conditions.”

Ella has also learnt a lot about herself as an individual and what support is available.

She told us: “I found that training helped me to understand more about me and my basic care needs, which has improved my ability to get proper care. The training has transformed my life – it’s given me a better understanding in what care and support I need and be more confident in what I do.”

Apply now

It’s easy to apply. Find out more and download the application form and guidance from our website.

Applications close on 28 February 2019.

More support from Skills for Care

There’s lots of information and guidance for individual employers, personal assistants and those who support them, such as user led organisations, on the Skills for Care information hub for individual employers and personal assistants.